JOB TITLE: Security Officer
DEPARTMENT: Security / Operations
REPORTS TO: Director, Security Operations
New-York Historical Society, a preeminent educational and research institution, is home to both New York City’s oldest museum and to one of the nation’s most distinguished independent research libraries. N-YHS is dedicated to presenting exhibitions and public programs, and fostering research that reveals the dynamism of history and its influence on the world of today. Founded in 1804, its holdings cover four centuries of American history, and include one of the world’s greatest collections of books, manuscripts, graphic materials, historical artifacts, and American art documenting the history of the United States as seen through the prism of New York.
The Security Officer ensures the safety of the collection, building, visitors, and staff. In this position, you will be expected to make tours of the facility and/or be stationed at a post, electronically monitor the facility, and review entry into the facility. The overall goal of a Security Officer is to maintain a safe and secure environment at all times.
- Responsible for the protection of the collection – protection from vandalism, theft, and damage from fire, floods, and other outside sources
- Responsible for keeping all people on the premises safe and secure
- Stands at a post observing all the activity in the area
- Tours the facility observing all activity in the area
- Reacts to all emergency situations
- Maintains log of all tours
- Communicates to staff and visitors when action must be taken
- Responds quickly and immediately to any directives by the Police or Fire Departments
- Monitors the CCTV Security system and Fire Command Center
- Manages emergency evacuation when necessary
- Responsible for access control in and out of the building, and in certain situations reviewing approved access lists of individuals
- Responds in a friendly manner to visitors questions and if necessary directs them to the appropriate person or location
- Announce all visitors who are coming to see a staff member
- When stationed at the loading dock must handle incoming phone calls
- Oversees temperature check kiosks, guiding staff and visitors through health and safety checkpoints
- Will occasionally be required to work at N-YHS events that are off-site. These events may include, but not limited to, Public Programs and Exhibitions
- Must have 3-5 years prior Security Officer experience
- Successfully completed the 8 hour NY State certificate required
- CCTV experience required
- Experience with various computer applications including email required
- When monitoring Security and Fire systems must be able to dispatch personnel to area or location according to floor plan
- Excellent communication skills both oral and written
- Fire Guard license preferred
- This position will be asked to use radio equipment, and at times may use a computer
- This facility has Security Officers on duty 24 hours a day. All Security Officers must be available to work all shifts
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee with or without accommodation, to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Individual must possess visual acuity and good hearing, and must be able to stand on post for long periods of time. Walking, bending, and lifting moderate weights is also required for this position.
For consideration please send a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com In the subject line please reference the job title, "Security Officer."
The New-York Historical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer