Membership Services Associate (Part-Time)
JOB TITLE: Membership Services Associate (Part-Time)
DEPARTMENT: Visitor Services
REPORTS TO: Director of Visitor Services
New-York Historical Society, a preeminent educational and research institution, is home to both New York City’s oldest museum and to one of the nation’s most distinguished independent research libraries. N-YHS is dedicated to presenting exhibitions and public programs, and fostering research that reveal the dynamism of history and its influence on the world of today. Founded in 1804, its holdings cover four centuries of American history, and include one of the world’s greatest collections of books, manuscripts, graphic materials, historical artifacts, and American art documenting the history of the United States as seen through the prism of New York.
JOB SUMMARY: The New-York Historical Society is seeking a part-time Membership Services Associate for its Visitor Services department. Membership Services Associates staff the Society’s Membership Desk in addition to other related tasks. Candidates must be available to work Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays from 10am – 6pm, and holidays. Occasionally, Tuesday and Thursday hours will be adjusted to 11am – 7pm as needed for Public Program onsite sales.
EDUCATION: High School diploma or GED required. Associates or Bachelors degree in a related field is preferred.
COMPENSATION: The pay rate for this position is $15/hour.
- 1 year customer service/cashier experience, preferably in a museum/arts setting
- Computer skills, familiarity with databases preferable
- Friendly, outgoing personality
- High level of verbal communication skills
- Ability to interact with customers, coworkers and vendors with an outgoing positive attitude
- Interest in fundraising/development preferable
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
- Support the museum’s fundraising efforts through the sale of new and renewal museum memberships at the Membership Desk, reporting to the Director of Visitor Services
- Serve as the main point of contact for all current and potential members visiting the museum and foster positive member relations
- Handle membership admissions/overflow of general admissions as needed
- Handle on-site ticket sales at some New-York Historical Public Programs
- Troubleshoot membership issues
- Miscellaneous administrative tasks
- Accurate maintenance of cash drawer during their shift
- Additional duties as requested.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee with or without accommodation, to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
The employee may be required to stand or sit for extended periods of time and lift objects over their head.
For consideration please send a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please reference the job title in the subject line.
The New-York Historical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer